Joeri Bosma



Today we are going to tell you about a talanted photographer – Joeri Bosma. We have interviewed Joeri recently and he shared with us an interesting stroy about his approach to photography and we are happy to share it with you too. Joeri Bosma is 17 and he is still going to high school. He lives on an island called Texel. It’s near Netherlands. The nature on Texel is awesome, you can find almost everything here: beaches, dunes, woods, grass fields and ocean. Joeri is doing a 365 project, so he is basically spending all his time on photography and school. Enjoy reading an exclusive interview with Joeri Bosma especially for AstrumPeople.



AP: Joeri, tell us about your first works. What did they look like?
JB: I was 15 when I bought my first camera. It was a waterproof point-and-shoot camera. I took pictures of my dog, flowers and always took it with me when I was going out. Nothing special, until I saw the work of Alex Stoddard. I did not know that photography could be so awesome and beautiful. I fell in love with his photostream. I decided that I wanted to do a 365 like Alex too. That’s when I bought my first DSLR camera and where the photography started.


AP: Do you have any formal education in your sphere or were you self-taught?
JB: Before I got my camera, I’ve spent months watching photography videos and reading books about settings, features and some technical stuff. Fro Knows Photo was a big help. I played around with Photoshop too, Aaron Nace from Phlearn has taught me a lot. When I got my camera, I just practiced every single day. I analysed works of others and asked a lot. I failed a lot (I still fail) and learn from my mistakes. I am still learning, there is so much more to learn.


AP: What genre are your works?
JB: I don’t like genres. I just make what I want.


AP: How would you describe your photos?
JB: I like to keep them simple, raw and strong with a little bit of mystery in it. The nature plays a huge part in my photos. I like to show a lot of the nature on my pictures and to have enough space around my subject. But I think the most important is to keep my photography real. I don’t really like fictional stuff.


AP: What kind of equipment and techniques do you use to create your photos?
JB: I use a Nikon D3100 with a 35mm 1.8 lens. I use a battery grip because I have big hands, a tripod an a remote. I expand almost every photo. That means that you lock the focus after you shot the subject and take a photo left, right, up and down and stitch them together in Photoshop. Sometimes I use twenty photos, sometimes only two. I edit the colors in Photoshop with curve layers. That’s basically all.



AP: Would you consider yourself as an expert in photography?
JB: Haha, not at all! I’m only making photos for ±100 days. I think it would be super cool to become a professional. Shooting for big magazines with beautiful models. But I want to be a window cleaner and a Starbucks employee too. I haven’t really found out what I want to do in my life. I have a whole life in front of me, so we’ll see.


AP: What is the formula for success in your activity?
JB: I really don’t know! I was just doing the 365 project when suddenly a website wrote an article about me, I got more Flickr contacts, another feature from the website. It is a snowball effect. I just try really hard, every day to take an awesome photo and people seem to like it.


AP: Is there someone who supports you in your creativity?
JB: My dad is very supportive. I got a text message a few days ago that he found cool nature, where I can take pictures. I take there a photo today. My best friend Roel is also a big help. If I need a help to take a  picture, he is always there to help me.


AP: Would like to wish something to your readers and AstrumPeople?
JB: I want to thank you for reading the interview. And I want to thank everybody who ever commented or favorited one of my photos. That really keeps me going. And I wish everybody an awesome day. Don’t forget to make your life awesome!





























--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------