The Return of Bent Objects



Remember Terry Border of Bent Objects fame? He’s back with a new series of every day objects made extraordinary with the addition of a little wire, and a lot of imagination. Having started as a few images on a small blog, Bent Objects has become an international phenomenon, featuring on TV shows, newspapers, blogs and major international news sites around the world. Here Terry shares with OWNI the story of Bent Objects, and his thoughts on its continued success.


I started the blog in 2006, which was still the heyday of blogs, when people were still excited about publishing more than 140 characters. I thought I would post some wire objects and make some coffee money. At the time I was a baker. I had been in commercial photography, but had quit that a few years earlier because of my dislike of the whole process.




One day I was walking through the park and a giant hand came down from the clouds and pointed its index finger at me. I pulled the finger towards myself until a deep, angry sound rumbled through the atmosphere. That was quite an interesting day, but had nothing to do with the idea of Bent Objects. Basically, wire is very cheap, and ordinary objects are very cheap. Combining those two things together in a way that amuses me is fun and isn’t stressful like some other creative endeavors which cost lots of money for materials.



My creative process is as follows:
(a) Look at an object.
(b) What does the object remind me of? What kind of character does it have?
(c) Add a bit of wire to bring it to life.
(d) Photograph it in a way that communicates my idea to the viewer.


 

 I’m not always trying to be funny. That isn’t the case at all. Because of the size of my materials and what they are, the end products are always seen in a humorous way, and there seems to be no way to get around that. Also, I’m not a serious person at all, and that shows in my work even if I’m not trying to “be funny”. It’s probably all for the best, because the humor, whether I’m striving for it to exist or not, has led people to share my work, and I’m not going to tell people how they should interpret it.


 



 
 Little polish girl





McDonalds as Sculpture Materials






 
Yeah, this is where those come from



 
Dancing Queens





 
English breakfast





 
Sylvia Muffin put her head in the oven.






 
The introvert









 
Bananas in bed – let’s slip into bed together






 
You Say Tomato, I Say Tomahto. You Say Potatoes, I say Zombies.






 
Fruit with life experience






 
Zombies are nuts about brains







 
Modest pear







 
Literary interpretations






 
Paper training our little dog, Frank







 
A little cat doodle



 Photo Credits: Terry Border at Bent Objects

——- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------