José Morraja





José Morraja, Bachelor of Fine Arts degree at the Universtity of Valencia; further studies in countries
like France and Germany.
He combines artistic projects in fields like photography, video and installations with commercial work related to fashion and advertising, including video projects for brands and companies. He has been an art director for music ensembles, festivals, events and interdisciplinary projects.
José Morraja considers photography and video as the starting point for the creation of new contemporary dialogs in fashion, music and art; he is always willing to work, experiment and evolve.



 



Explaining ones own work has never been easy. Specially when you look at your different works from another perspective as the time goes by. I consider my artistic trajectory as a constant impulse to understand myself, my environment and my time. My different projects don’t follow any particular evolution because they are based on my own evolution as an individual. All the work and research I have done have been focused on understanding different moments of my personal and social life, that have gone through quite different stages. I see my work as a sort of diary where I have tried to transform my gut feelings into a visual and conceptual dialog to have a better understanding on contemporary human contradictions.
My artistic projects have always tried to reflect the struggle between the individual and society. Concepts like social success, the importance of the image or the constant search for change and novelty have turned into the motor that drives our lives, ambitions and dreams towards one objective: happiness.
My projects analyze those values through very diverse disciplines like photography, video, installations, etc. where my characters adopt very different social structures to reveal how artificial they are and how these concepts transform our own reality as individuals.
You can easily appreciate the passing of time and a change of attitude towards life and society in my work, from a more radical and adolescent period to a more calmed and mature one, sometimes with melancholy and others with curiosity.

I started my artistic trajectory under these premises in 2001, working on the analysis of what I called the “Star Generation”: a new teenage generation (like myself at that time) that has rejected the traditional values and only cares for the present while ignoring the past and the future. In this environment the social characters have lost any sense of effort and sacrifice as everything is based on pure hedonism.
Discotheques, brands and the image have become the only possible reality, the only way of being accepted and, at the same time, to stand out in a society based on appearances. This is how artificiality is taken as a legitimate territory of appropriation and creation of new discourses to understand themselves better within a social identity.

With my series “Lost in Paradise” (Lucas Carrieri Art Gallery 2010, Berlin) I open a new stage under the direct influence of contemporary international events that reflected how unreal a dream was, changing the way we see society and ourselves.
My last projects witness our own fiction. The characters have been replaced by simple carton representations of themselves: silent main characters looking for new dialogs about society, human relationships and about their own feelings.
Imagination and fantasy become the ideal tool to build a new dialectic of reality that will slowly transform carton into flesh and fiction into a new way of understanding ourselves.








 



















--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------